The Utilify Platform for Amazon EC2 enables developers to rapidly create and
deploy large scale compute intensive applications built using Utilify's Grid
computing framework API in .NET.
It consists of the same components that make up the Utilify Distributed Application Platform
running on Amazon's EC2 infrastructure.
Like all resources on the Amazon EC2, the Utilify
Platform for EC2 has a pay-per-use model.
Benefits to Developers:
- Rapid development of Grid applications which can be deployed automatically on
the EC2 platform
- No upfront licensing cost. Pay for only what you use - in CPU time and storage on the cloud
- Easy to use unified .NET API and tools for running applications on-premise and online (cloud)
- Easily handle peak application workloads by making use of the elasicity of the underlying cloud infrastructure
- Scale up dynamically from one machine to thousands in the cloud or back to using only on-premise machines using the same
Utilify Platform API
Typical usage scenarios:
The Utilify Platform can be used for most compute-intensive data-parallel application workloads. Applications written using
the Utilify Framework API generally follow a design pattern such as scatter-gather to break up the workload into distinct independent tasks
each with its own chunk of data. Tasks are all executed in parallel on the cloud, and results are returned to the caller out of order.
Some examples of workloads that are suitable for parallelisation using the Utilify Framework include:
- High volume file parsing / document processing
- Digital media (images/video) processing / manipulation
- Monte-carlo type simulations
- Financial applications such as investment portfolio risk analysis, pricing securities etc
- Various scientific applications such as protein folding, drug discovery